North East Delight Tour
About North East Delight
North East India is a paradise on earth, unexplored and one of the best destination for wildlife lovers, nature enthusiasts and trekkers. The North East Indian region includes the states of Arunachal Pradesh, Gangtok, Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Tripura as well as Sikkim, Darjeeling and parts of West Bengal etc. This part of India is one of the eco-friendliest and treasured with natural resources with a pot of diverse people and cultures.
North East Delight Culture
North East India is well known for its distinct culture and traditional lifestyle. It offers a rich blend of cultures like Hindu, Buddhism, Christianity etc. Buddhism occupies an essential place and a huge number of ethnic groups follow Buddhist way of life compared to other religions. The tribal people of each of the states have their distinct tribal culture, tribal folk dance, cuisine and crafts. The major tribes of hills like Garo, Jaintia, Khasi are the people which have deep traditional values steeped with religious beliefs. Agriculture and weaving are the two major source occupation, with Tea farming brining a large part of income in these areas. Tea gardens from Assam and Darjeeling, especially are internationally famous for their aroma and flavor.
North East Delight Cuisine
North East Indiais a thrilling mélange of diverse tribes and cultures. Their flavors are distinct and dishes are unique as their colorful way of life. Here are some dishes that you must try whiletouring-
- Gyathuk - This delicious thukpa recipe from Sikkim is an Indian versions of the Tibetan noodle soup. This yummy noodle based steamy soup is very filling. Gyathuk does well either way- with meat or without meat. The fresh and natural spices give this dish its unique flavor.
- Shapale -Similar to large deep fried momos, this Tibetan originating shapale is basically a meat pie. It has crunchy/ doughy exterior which is filled with gooey interior made up of minced meat, onions and spices. Shapale is a popular street snack in Sikkim and is served with red chili sauce or soup.
- Chhurpi -This is a fermented dairy dish which is produced from yak milk or cow milk. It has a mild sour taste and is used for making acchar [pickle] or soups. It can be mixed with Ningro [ vegetable] to make a tasty combination.
- Momos -One of the most popular food items that is available all over north east Indian region is the mouth-watering momos. These are hot steamed dumplings that are filled with vegetables, cheese or minced meat and served with hot chili sauce.
North East India Shopping
North East India offers you a unique shopping experience. Visitors from all over the world bring souvenirs from places vacationed to remember them fondly. Some of things you can shop here are –
- Prayer Flags - You will find colorful prayer flags everywhere you go- on the waterfalls, temples, roadsides etc. They are generally meant to spread the prayers in air for goodwill of everyone. You buy and hang them in your home.
- Thangka Paintings -The Thangka paintings are found throughout Himalayan region. They are made in silk, cotton and paper. These typically depict scenes from Buddha’s lives, Buddhist deities or the mystic Mandals. If you buy them, remember than they need special care for upkeep.
- Tea -North East Indian regions have the climate to grow the best tea leaves. Darjeeling and Assam tea especially have made their mark internationally. The tea leaves grown here is exported all over the world. Even Sikkim tea, called the ‘Temi tea’ is organically produced using orthodox methods. It is famous for it rich flavor.
- Jewelry -Traditional jewelry is good way of remembrance. Each north east Indian area has its own traditional designs of jewelry. There is especially turquoise stone jewelry that is popular in this area. For e.g. the‘Ghau pendants’ which have healing stones embedded in them and have space within them to keep sacred herbs, relics or scrolls. There is also Akor earrings traditionally worn by Lhasa women. There are even dragon bracelets with gold polish silver that are popular all over the country.
North East India Attractions
- Lachung Monastry -Nestled amongst the apple orchards the Lachung Monastery, which is anancient Nyingma Buddhist gompa in the Lachung Valley, Sikkim, northeastern India, is a grand architectural pride of Lachung valley.
- Yumthang valley -Yumthang valley near Gangtok is surrounded by snowcapped mountains and is a natural habitat for exotic species of wild flowers like primrose, cobra lilies and louseworts.
- Kanchenjunga Peak -The third highest peak in the world, the Kanchenjunga peak boasts of one of the most beautiful sight. You have a vantage point of view from gangtok which is best for photography.
- Singshore Bridge -The Singshore bridge is the highest bridge in Sikkim, situated in Pelling. It is at an elevated height of 198m above ground encircled with lush green hills, making it one of the favored tourist attractions.
- Mirik Lake -The Mirik lake is one of the most prominent tourist attractions. The calm water of the Sumendu is a beautiful place to go boating and has a bridge over it too.
Day 1:NJP Rly Stn / IXB Airport - Kalimpong (About 85 kms / 03 hours):
After arriving at NJP Rly Stn/ IXB Airport, you will be greeted by our Representative who will help you with your transport to Kalimpong. Check in to your hotel, upon arrival in Kalimpong. You have the rest of the day free. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Kalimpong.
Day 2:Kalimpong sightseeing - Gangtok (About 80 kms / 03 hours) :
Once done with breakfast, you will be visting Delo Hill, Mangal Dham, Dr. Graham’s Home, and Flower Nurseries. During afternoon, you will be drive to Gangtok, check into your hotel. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Gangtok.
Day 03:Gangtok (Trip to Tsomgo Lake + Baba Mandir-New)
This morning is set out on a half day trip to Tsomgo Lake (12400 ft) that is only 32 kms from Gangtok City. The lake is approx. 1km long and 15 m deep and is considered scared by the local people, carry on 12 kms ahead to visit Baba Harvajan Singh Mandir. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Gangtok.This morning is set out on a half day trip to Tsomgo Lake (12400 ft) that is only 32 kms from Gangtok City. The lake is approx. 1km long and 15 m deep and is considered scared by the local people, carry on 12 kms ahead to visit Baba Harvajan Singh Mandir. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Gangtok.
Day 04:Gangtok - Lachen (About 122 kms / 06 hours)
Once done with breakfast, you will be driven to Lachen (117 Km). On the way, visit to Singhik View point (subject to weather conditions), Naga Waterfalls and Seven Sisters Waterfall. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Lachen.
Day 05:Excursion Thangu & Chopta- Lachung
Note: Gurudongmar is optional sightseeing that will charge extra cost. Early morning visit to Thangu and Chhopta Valley. Following lunch, drive to Lachung and check in to your hotel. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Lachen.
Day 06:Lachung - Yumthang Excursion (24 km. and 11,800 ft)
Leaving early morning for drive to Yumthang-valley (known as Valley of Flowers). On the way back, you will be visiting Sulphur Hot Springs. Return to the resort for the lunch. In the afternoon, you will be visiting the Lachung village and its villagers for a glimpse into their day-to-day life and then seeing the Lachung Monastery. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Lachen.
Day 07:Lachung - Gangtok (About 117 kms / 06 hours)
After breakfast, driving to Gangtok. On the way, visit Twin Falls and Bheema. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Gangtok.
Day 08:Gangtok local sightseeing - Pelling (About 130 kms / 05 hours)
Post breakfast, set out on a half day local city tour of Gangtok covering Ban Jhakri Falls, Dro Dull Chorten, Institute of Tibetology, Handicraft Centre, Flower show. During afternoon time, heading towards to Pelling (6800 ft.). Check in to your hotel, once you reach Pelling. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Pelling.
Day 09:Pelling sightseeing
Once done with the breakfast, there is a local sightseeing tour covering Rimbi Falls, Rock Garden Khachoedpalri Wish Lake, and Khangchendzonga falls. During afternoon time, visit Rabdantse Ruins, Helipad Ground, Pemayangtse Monastery, Rabdantse View point. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Pelling.
Day 10:Pelling - Darjeeling (About 120 kms / 04 hours).
This morning, drive to Darjeeling (7,100 ft.). Firstly, check into your hotel, once you reach Darjeeling. You have the rest of the day free to relax or you can go enjoy some shopping. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Darjeeling.
Day 11:Darjeeling (Local City tour)
At 4 am early in the morning set out for a visit to Tiger hill (point of sunrise at Mt. Khanchendzongna). While returning back, visit to Batasia Loop and Ghoom Monastery. Following breakfast, there is a half day tour of city, which covers Tibetan Refugee Centre (Sunday closed), Institute of Himalayan Mountaineering, Rope Way (you have to buy your own tickets), Tea garden (outer view), Tenzing Rock, the P.N. Zoological Park (Thursday close), and Japanese Temple. You have the afternoon at leisure. You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Darjeeling.
Day 12:Darjeeling- Excursion to Mirik
After breakfast, set out on a Mirik excursion an excellent natural beauty spot. It is being situated in forested hills at a height of 5800 feet. and is well-known for its artificial Sumendu Lake, Tea Estates improves the surroundings here. On the way back, visit Pashputi Market- (Vehicle goes up to India Border). You will be scheduled for an overnight stay at Darjeeling.
Day 13:Darjeeling - NJP Rly. Stn. / IXB Airport (About 90 kms / 03 hours)
Once done with the breakfast, check out from your hotel. You will be helped to transfer to NJP Rly Stn/ IXB Airport for your forward journey.
Highlights of The Tour
The topography of this little Himalayan State - Sikkim, a modern day Shangri-La, still uncorrupted by the onrush of civilization, is irresistible. Here, the snow-capped peaks of the majestic Himalayas look upon quaint hilltop monasteries nestled in verdant vegetation and silvery-blue rivers slicing through the valleys below. Visitors are left enchanted by the magical hill stations of Darjeeling in West Bengal and Kalimpong, and Pelling in the north-eastern reaches of the country. Choose this holiday package and unwind in the spectacular settings of Kalimpong, Gangtok, Lachen, Lachung, Pelling, and Darjeeling.