Sri Lanka Tour
About Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka has a humble, unique and colorful culture that dictates the friendly and hospitable attitudes of the Sri Lankan people. The culture and values of Sri Lankan people is based on the fusion of traditional forms of art, music and dance. Many visitors worldwide are fascinated by its unique and mystifying diversity.
Sri Lanka Culture
The culture of Sri Lanka is an amalgamation of modern aspects and traditional elements. The culture has been long since influenced by the heritage of Theravada Buddhism passed from India and the religions’ legacy is particularly strong in the northern part of Sri Lanka’s region. The Sri Lankan cultural identity is marked by its history of colonial occupation. It’s a mix between of Dutch, the Portuguese and British aspects mingled with traditional elements of Sri Lanka.
The country has a rich artistic tradition, showcased in several creative forms that include classical music, dance and visual arts. It exports major include cinnamon, tea and gemstones and it is internationallyknown for cricket, distinguished cuisine, religious iconography and indigenous medical practice etc.
Sri Lanka Cuisine
Sri Lankan cuisine is shaped by many cultural and historical factors. Due to influence from several cultures mixed with traditional Sri Lankan spices, the taste of Sri Lankan is as distinguished as it is tasty. Here are some of the must try dishes you should have in Sri Lanka.
- Kukul Mas Curry This is a chicken curry, spiced with fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon sticks (which are tempered with oil). It is mixed with spices lemongrass, curry leaves, turmeric, pandan leaves based with coconut milk.
- Kottu Kottus are spicy stir-fried of shredded roti breads mixed deliciously with veggies. Various variations including meat, eggs and cheese are also available.
- Idiyappam (String hoppers) String hoppers [ idiyappam] are made from hot water dough of wheat flour and rice meal. The dough is then pressed in circlets from a string mold and then made into small wicker mats and eventually steamed.
- Fish Ambulthiyal This delectable seafood dish comprises of cubed fish sautéed in a blend of spices. One of the spice that gives its one of a kind taste is the dried goraka. The dish is then simmered in small amount of water and cooked until the liquid reduces. It is best eaten with steamed rice. Other dishes you should try here include Parippu [ dhal curry], Lamprais, green jackfruit curry, eggplant pickles, coconut relish etc.
Sri Lanka Shopping
There are several items that are perfect souvenirs as well as affordable items which will serve as a remembrance of the vibrant Sri Lanka and its rich culture. Some of the must-buy items that should be on your shopping list while in Sri- Lanka include -
- Precious gems A variety of gems can be bought cost friendly in Sri Lanka. The long list includes some of the most beautiful gems like topaz, aquamarines, tourmalines, amethysts, garnets and zircons etc. However, the most astounding of all are the glistening sapphires and rubies.
- Metalwork and lacquerware Metalwork include ceremonial brass lamps, lavishly designed trays and decorative items that are intricately designed. Meanwhile, lacquer bowls, containers and objects can be bought. These items are painted with varnish and then finished with lac.
- Masks One of the most favored souvenirs are the gruesome yet beautifully designed masks which are used in ritual Kolam dances or exorcism ceremonies (bali).
- Batiks Influenced from Indonesia by the Dutch, batik designed clothes and articles have become fairly popular in the country and for tourists as well.
- Other things that you should definitely shop in Sri Lanka are lace, tea, handicrafts, ceramics, antiques and jewelry etc.
Sri Lanka Attractions
- Kandy Kandy is the second largest city in the country and is popular for being one the scenic places to visit. It is famous for three reasons – for being home to sacred tooth relic of the Great Buddha, its botanical gardens, and for festivities of EsalaPerahara that are carried out there.
- Nilaveli This beach is famous for its soft white sands and gorgeous bays. It is especially famous for water recreational sports.
- Ella Known for its green beauty, this town is known as a spot, one goes for refreshing the mind. In between the waterfalls and green hills, it perfect for relaxing.
- Minneriya This park is renowned for its elephant populaceabiding in backwoods of Polonnaruwa, Trincomaleeand Matale etc.
- Other places to visit are Kumana National Park, Adams’ peak, Kitulgala, Koggala, Hikkaduwa beach etc.
Day 1 :Bandaranaike International Airport - Hotel Check in (Colombo) :
On arriving at airport you will be met by one of our local representatives, just by the exit gate. You can identify him by the placard he will be holding with your name on it. The representative will drive you to your hotel. The rest of the day will be for you to enjoy leisure activities of your interest.Full Day free time in Colombo (No Services included)
You may spend your time on leisure activities as per your interests, no services included.
Day 2 :Colombo-Kandy
A Full-Day tour of Kandy
Experience the famous Kandy city, famous for being home to the Buddha temple which has the Great Buddha’s tooth relic. Thereafter, you can witness a cultural show.
Visit the Peradeniya Botanical gardens and enjoy the nature. You will be escorted back to the hotel in Kandy, where you can rest or enjoy other activities. The overnight stay will be at the hotel.
Day 3 :Kandy-Bentota
An HD Turtle Hatchery Tour in Bentota
The “Sea Turtle Farm and Hatchery” is an NGO which is conserved for the preservation of turtles for the generations to come. The farm of the turtles is located in Habaraduwa (a southern part of Sri Lanka – Galle district) adjacent to a beautiful beach. There is approx. five meters’distance from the main road of Galle- Matara. The center was established in 1986 and from that till now, they have released more than 500,000 sea turtles.
Day 4 :Full Day City Tour of Bentota
Enjoy a morning boat ride on the Mau river in Balapitiya. Then you will be transported back to the hotel. En route, there will be visit to the turtle hatchery in Kosgoda.
The overnight stay will be at the hotel.
Day 5 :Bentota-Colombo
Day 6Hotel - Bandaranaike International Airport (Colombo)
You will be driven to airport for your flight. We advise you to set out for the airport 4 hours prior to an international flight and 3 hours prior to a domestic one.
- Two nights lodging at Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo (Colombo)
- Two nights’ lodging at Avani Bentota Spa and Resort (Bentota)
- One nights’ accommodation at Mahaweli Beach (Kandy)
- Applicable fees and charges
- Services of professional chauffeur guide of the tour
- Meal as specified in selected hotels
- Land transportation by a/c conditioned car/ vehicle
- Entrance fees
- International / Domestic Airfare
- Meals other than specified
- Anything that is not mentioned in the Inclusion section
Hotel Accommodations for this tour
|City||Selected Hotels||Room Details||Meal Plan||Amenities|
|Colombo||Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo (4 Star)||Room 1: Superior Room City View||Room Only|
|Kandy||Mahaweli Reach (4 Star)||Room 1: Double Or Twin Deluxe||Bed And Breakfast|
|Bentota||Avani Bentota Resort & Spa (4 Star)||Room 1: Superior Room||Breakfast from Sep, 08 2017 to Sep, 09 2017|
|Colombo||Cinnamon Lakeside Colombo (4 Star)||Room 1: Superior||Room Only|
|Room City View|